Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Encourage

Today, I wanted to reserve a spot here on "A Great New Life" for a wonderful guest blog that really gets down to the heart and soul of encouragement, and what it truly means to encourage. It's something that I believe needs to have a more profound effect upon today's population all over the world. I believe that if we could do just a little bit more of this that it would make our world such a more beautiful and happy place. I'd also like to thank Ashley Revely for writing this piece. Great job!

Encourage
By: Ashley Revely

The etymology of words has always intrigued me far beyond the point of reason. I fall in love with words after I discover their history. I have lists upon lists of words that I absolutely adore. I am particularly fanatical about the study of words found in the Scripture. I think it is fascinating that ancient languages, and many still today, have different words for varying degrees of love. It just stretches my mind to consider how incredibly different every day conversations would be if I didn’t say that “I love Taco Bell” in the same sentence that I told the three year old that I nanny that “I love her”. 

One word that has always struck a particular chord in my chest is the word, encourage. It seems like a lovely word all on its own. The ideology of sharing with someone the right words or physical contact in order to keep them on the course--that is just fascinating alone. However, when you explore the roots of the word? It is mind-blowing. 

It is an early 15th century French word meaning to “make strong, place courage in”. Yes, when you encourage someone, you are giving them courage. Why does this matter so much to me? It is one thing to deliver someone the equivalent of an icecream cone with your words. The idea that you say something sweet that satiates their ego or pride, but only lasts for the length of time it would take to consume an icecream cone--that is nice and all, but it isn’t lasting.

If my friend is in need and I supply words that I have prayed about, considered, and carefully chosen, I can instill her with courage. She may not remember what I said three months from now, but she will remember that she had someone to support her even in the moment that she didn’t feel like she could continue. I still find myself fascinated, motivated, and challenged by the charge to encourage and build up the people around me.

I hope that this has given you a brief pause, just a momentary consideration about the importance of being there for someone else. I pray that it encourages you to greatly consider encouraging those around you. 



Ashley Revely is a 25 year old nanny who lives in Southern Indiana. She loves God, laughter, and three ½ (one on the way!) little darlings who teach her more about spirituality and life than she could have ever imagined. She blogs frequently with a passion for words at http://copiousmusings.wordpress.com

2 comments:

  1. An inspirational article ...very well wriiten !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are edified to encourage one another daily while it is still called today (Hebrews 3:13). A very important charge for all Christians and one Satan wishes for us to pass by. Too often we sit in our own silos, all alone, and stuck in our own minds when we could be reaching out to others. If encourage the faith of others we find, in turn, our own faith is encouraged. Three cords are not easily broken and we need one another to combat Satan and help each other stay connected to God (Ecclesiastes 4:12). God is Gracious

    ReplyDelete